How can I find out if I’m winning an auction?
Refresh the page (if it is displayed in a post) or click the refresh bid icon in the pop-up window. If you are winning, your name and current bid will be displayed on top.
How does bidding work?
Adam has an auction for an iPod on his website. Jim and Salma decide to bid on it.
- Adam sets the starting bid at $5. Jim bids a maximum of $25. The current bid is now set at $5.
- Salma comes along and bids a maximum of $15. But since Jim bid a maximum of $25 he is protected to win till Salma can bid over that.
- However this also means that Jim’s maximum bid has been outbid till $15. Therefore his current bid will rise to $15.10 to meet and beat Salma’s maximum bid.
- Salma decides to bid a bit more, she bids $30. Now she is the winning bidder. But her bid will only beat the previous maximum bid set by Jim, which was $25. So her current bid is $25.10, till someone decides to outbid her.
- Jim gets an email saying that he is being outbid. He may decide to bid more or not. If he does not bid then Salma only pays $25.10 for the iPod, unless someone outbids her.
In the end, Adam will sell the iPod to the current highest bid and not the maximum bid set by Salma. Remember all bids are binding.
How do I pay for my auction?
If you win an auction you will get an email with Paypal payment instructions.